Our highest impact offering: The PRIMER Wellbeing Programme, is created with the hope of improving the lives of many within the community, including employees’ wellbeing.
Positive Psychology is the scientific study of how people thrive in life amidst external obstacles and human frailty. The PRIMER Wellbeing Programme explores evidence-based concepts and processes that are reported to enhance individual wellbeing and quality of life. The course duration is over 6 weeks, comprising one webinar classroom session per week. You will learn and apply positive psychology theories to your personal and/or professional life through 6 topics: Positive emotions, Resilience, Identity (Character strengths), Meaning, Engagement & stress management, and positive Relationships, in which the starting letters of each topic form the acronym, PRIMER.
Participants will have the chance to engage in evidence-based activities in the PRIMER Wellbeing Workbook that is specially designed for our course participants. These activities will contribute to the participants’ own toolbox of effective strategies and techniques in enhancing their wellbeing even after the PRIMER Wellbeing Programme ends.
- PRIMER Wellbeing Programme Handbook (e-copy)
- PRIMER Wellbeing Workbook with over 30+ exercises and activities (e-copy)
- Supplementary readings
- 4 x 2 hr and 2 x 2.5 hr live webinar sessions on ZOOM (13 hours)
- Invitation to join our Facebook group meant for students and graduates of this program for support, questions, networking and sharing
- Meet and journey with like-minded people who are keen to learn positive psychology
- Certificate of Completion for PRIMER Wellbeing Programme (Please note that participants that missed 2 or more sessions will not be awarded with the certificate)
The PRIMER Wellbeing Programme is suitable for any adult aged 18 and above, who wishes to apply positive psychology in their personal or professional life to improve personal wellbeing. No prior knowledge or, or experience with positive psychology is required. In case you have any acute or chronic mental or physical illness, you are required to indicate during your registration so that we can arrange a conversation with you to determine whether this programme is suitable for you. We may not accept individuals into the programme at our discretion if we find them unsuitable, in which a full refund of the course will be given. Please note that the PRIMER Wellbeing Programme does not serve to treat mental illnesses. If you feel you may have a mental health condition, please consult a doctor or mental health professional instead.
*If you are currently a full-time Pre-U/Tertiary student (Age 17-25), you may wish to consider signing up for the PRIMER Wellbeing Programme (Tertiary Students), in which the content covered is similar but it is contextualized for tertiary education students.
Session 1: Positivity
- What is Positive Psychology?
- PERMA wellbeing model
- Impact of negativity bias
- Emotional states and triggers
- Emotional acceptance and management
- Broaden-and-build theory of positive emotions
- Application of positive psychology interventions to enhance wellbeing
- Dark side of positive emotions and up side of negative emotions
Session 2: Resilience
- What is Resilience?
- Myths about Resilience
- Impact of cognition and thinking styles on personal resilience
- Recognise and dispute unhealthy thinking traps
- Adopt effective strategies to build long-term resilience
- Three propensities that affect people’s recovery from hardships
Session 3: Identity
- What are Character strengths?
- Differentiation between character strengths, StrengthsFinder & MBTI
- Using signature strengths in new ways
- Strengths spotting
- Strength overuse and underuse.
- Reaching your “Power-Zone”
- Self-compassion and appreciation of strengths
- Misconceptions, realities and tips about character strengths
Session 4: Meaning
- Meaning of meaning
- Different types of meaning
- Differentiation between ‘meaning of life’ and ‘meaning in life’
- Relate sailboat metaphor to human functioning
- Experience meaning in life through Trinity of Meaning model
- Finding meaning in the dark side of life
- Meaningful photography
Session 5: Engagement and Stress Management
- What is flow and engagement in life?
- Conditions to experience flow and engagement in life
- Differentiate between types of stressors and stress
- Understand the stress appraisal process
- Adopt stress management techniques through problem-focused and emotion-focused coping
- Mindfulness and meditation exercises to manage stress and improved engagement levels
Session 6: Relationships
- What are positive relationships?
- The 7 elements of close relationships
- Importance of active listening
- Active constructive responding
- Expressing empathy
- Expressing gratitude
- Impact of digital ties on human connection
Although there are no assessments, participants are expected to carry out a total of 6 activities from the e-workbook (1 activity each week).
The PRIMER Wellbeing Programme is highly customisable and flexible in terms of the types of delivery that is catered and suited to your organizational needs.
2 days online via ZOOM (9am – 12pm, 1.30pm – 5pm for each day)
2 days face-to-face training in your organization (9am – 12pm, 1.30pm – 5pm for each day)
The PRIMER Wellbeing Programme could also be broken down into 6 individual workshop series (2 hours each/$120 per employee, minimum 10 pax)
- Engaging Positive Emotions
- Building Resilience at the Workplace
- Discovering Self-Identity through Character Strengths
- Finding Meaning in Life
- Engagement and Stress Management
- Building Positive Relationships
For organisations that wish to engage us to conduct the PRIMER Wellbeing programme for your employees, please indicate your interest by completing the form below and we will get back to you within 3 business working days.
Hear what our participants have to say
Matthew is knowledgeable in his area of expertise and delivered the 6-week well-being programme authentically. The content and activities were enjoyable, practical and useful all at the same time. Thank you for your time and effort in making this happen for us!
Attending this 6-week wellbeing programme helped me become aware of and acknowledge my emotions. Something that as an Asian male, is not commonly addressed. This helped me realised that it is normal to experience emotions and the important thing is to deal with them in a healthy way which Matthew had taught us to. In doing so, it helps me better managed my mental health and stress. I would definitely recommend this programme to anyone!
After each week of session, I would reflect on myself and how to work on my strengths and weaknesses. This programme has helped me to understand how I can adjust day to day life and to create the best out of myself. Benefit not only the current ME and also the future of ME. With the application of what I have learn from this programme, I am confident in going a long way and infuse positive energy in my daily life whenever I can! The more gratitude I have, the more I can show it and the better it is! Thank you Matthew for the wonderful 6-week Wellbeing Programme. I have not only learn from you, also from the other participants too.
Lee Xin Yi
Matthew's lessons were very engaging. He is very knowledgeable and was able to deliver the content in clear and understandable manner, through using realistic and relevant day-to-day examples. His 6-week course was a good introduction to positive psychology, especially to someone who has little knowledge of this field. This course is useful in helping individuals grow their self-awareness and adopt a more positive outlook in their life.
Having just graduated, it was tough entering the workforce again during a pandemic as uncertainty is prominent. To remain positive and hopeful everyday to hear a call-back from a company took courage to cultivate positive emotions, manage the stress of having financial burdens and unable to support my family. By understanding my strengths and weakness , analysing my emotions and feelings to dive deep within myself with the activities given, it gave me clarity of what i always knew - yet needed to be reminded of. Listening to Matthew share his stories that i found myself in such positions, only reminds me that we are only humans, and it is alright to feel and experience certain struggles in life.
This 6 weeks' programme by Matthew was thoroughly insightful and enjoyable. Being a psychology degree student myself, the topic of positive psychology isn't covered much during my time in school. It's refreshing to see it being addressed more as it's very applicable and relevant to our day-to-day. Most of the weekly activities that we were given to do are things that you can consistently apply to our daily lives.
Throughout the 6-week Wellbeing Programme, I have benefitted greatly by learning how to cope with adversities in life better. I have learnt to provide active constructive responses which will help me maintain good relationships with people. I have also learnt to be more resilient by practicing positive reframing. I am now able to understand myself better in terms of coping with my emotions, and be able to make decisions calmly.
Mr Matthew's online classes was very helpful in taking things in a different perspective. Learning to cope with the difficulties we face and how to overcome them in the proper way! Truly hope to be able to learn from him in the near future